Time flies so fast and sometimes I can't believe or I feel funny when recall something I did in the past. Taking driver license was all about. Driver license is important here (US) to show proof identity beside passport or birth certificate when you're above 15. Honestly I prefer Robert drives all the time. I am so lazy to drive. But I should have it since the driver license here is treated like an ID (IC) card. My driver license has a history behind it.

As usual in any country, you must pass both written and road test to get a driver license. Speaking of written test, DMV (Dept. motor vehicle) give me a free handbook to read the rules and regulations. The handbook has 116 pages obviously it was like reading a law book. You can't get wrong more than 5 from 25 questions to pass the written test.



When I first took written test in 2008, I failed (18/25). I could say most of the questions were different from the book. I just rolled the dice for most of the answers.  I remembered one of the questions, “If you take medicine before driving, what you should do? That question wasn't in the handbook. It wasn't only me who failed. There were few people on the same page with me when I found this website

The study guide notes from that website really helped me a lot and I passed for 2nd attempt. Then I had road test on the same day but I didn't remember what I did wrong. DMV issued me a 2 years learner permit. A learner permit is the first step toward driver's license. With it, I can practice to drive and I must be accompanied by someone who has a valid driver license.  I didn't continue to take road test due to fly back and forth from US to Malaysia.

I have to start all over again when my learner permit expired in 2010. DMV morehead city is the closest one from our house. Back in 2008 I took written test with a paper and pencil but not anymore in 2010. The test conducted in the computer. Luckily I was still keeping my note from study guide. I passed computer test! 

One thing for the road test, DMV don't provide a car so you will drive on your own car. I used automatic car for sure.  The examiner will check your car by asking you to turn the head lights, signal light left and right, windows, honk, and break light. Then he/she will sit beside you and ask you to drive somewhere to test your driving skills.

I seriously didn't practice for driving exam. I was confidently thinking that I could pass because I never fail for road test and I've been driving a car for 13 years in Malaysia. But thing unexpectedly occurred....

During driving test, the examiner will give you command to do
1) 3 points turn,
2) back up (reverse) straight,
3) Emergency breaks when they said stop in a sudden
4) Driving on the road which includes changing lane, speed limit, turning intersection.
3 points turn

I passed those 3 (1 to 3) but I did wrong on the road. My examiner was an old man with grumpy face. He said "I can't pass you today, you need to work on your intersection" He drew me the picture of the intersection on the paper and gave me a next date to come for test. 
Lesson learned: I stopped on the wrong lane when I was crossing the intersection. 

After that day, I planned to go to the other DMV in New Bern which is closer to my workplace and I thought by changing dmv center I will meet different examiner and they would pass me. But worse things happened to me.

In New Bern,
I got a young man officer. I was so self assured that I passed. But...
Officer: "Ma'am, everything was perfect but you drove more than 35mph in the city."
Me: " Sir, I drove 45 mph in Morehead city last week and the examiner didn't say anything"
Officer: “That was different ma'am, it depend where the dmv centre located. The road there is 45 mph speed limit but here is 35 mph"
What?! I felt so frustrated that day.

Lesson learned; DMV strictly about city speed limit which is 35mph.

I went to New Bern again to pass the road test and I thought I could get the same guy I had last time. The speed limit was my concern of course. Unfortunately I got the other examiner. A young black lady. She looked nice and friendly but OMG! She is fussier than that young man.  
She said "Ma'am you need to work on your changing lane to prevent blind spot and you didn't do.... and you should do...blah blah blah..." I failed road test.
Changing lane
Lesson learned: I have to put my head over shoulder to change lane, besides looking the 3 mirrors.

After those incidents, I started to practice driving on the road and did the 3 command rules practically. I returned to DMV Morehead city on the next day. I had a middle aged woman officer. She looked fierce, short hair with glasses. I felt nervous when I was pushing the gas pedal. Absolutely I didn’t want to do wrong this time. Completely I just gave in.

We returned to DMV office after 20 minutes. I asked her while I was parking the car in front of the dmv building “Did I pass?" she said “Yes, You pass today!" I was totally feel wanna cry after she said that. I wasn't sure whether I should cry happiness or cry sadness. 

They gave me just one year validation until my green card got approval. I feel so grateful and relieve that day.  I can drive on my own to work (yeay!!) and yet I still feel lazy to drive. I got my picture taken and chose airplane background picture on my driver license..Here it is..

A year later in Aug 2011, I renewed my license after receiving my green card. I just had vision screening test which content regulatory signs and warning signs.

I paid $28 for 8 years .
Ok that's the end of driver license story...